Kenner, a town in the Jefferson parish of Louisiana on the banks of the Mississippi River, is considered to be one of the suburbs of New Orleans. It is the largest city in the parish of Jefferson and in the suburbs of New Orleans, and is the sixth largest city in the state.
|Mayor||Emond J. Muniz|
|History and geography|
|Center Height||1 m|
|Time zone||UTC-6:00, summer UTC-5:00|
|Population||66,702 persons (2010)|
|Phone code||+1 504|
|CITY OF KENNER|
|Media files on Wikimedia Commons|
Kenner is located west of New Orleans between the Mississippi River and Lake Ponchartrain. Its total area is 15.2 square miles (39 km2), and the total number of people in the city as of 2010 was 66,702 people.
Kenner's current location was inhabited by Indians several centuries earlier. In 1682, during his Mississippi expedition, a French explorer, Rene-Robert Cavelier de la Sal, sailed there, and included the area in the possession of the French king, Louisiana. As was subsequently established during the expeditions of 1976-1977, in spite of the legends of La Sal, in fact did not go to the shore here and to the base of the city was in fact not related.
In 1718, New Orleans was founded in Mississippi estuary, and upstream the settlement was located in the place of the present Kenner, called Cannes-Brülées (Fr. Cannes-Brées ). This name can be literally translated as "Burnt Reed", because when researchers were swimming through the area, they watched the Indians burn a cane to drive out the game. A couple of years later, the first plantations appeared here. In 1757, sugar cane was grown in Cannes-Brül, followed by corn, legumes and grains.
In 1803, as a result of the Louisiana deal, the area was included in the United States. In the 1840s, all three major plantation areas at Cannes-Brüle site were purchased by the Kenner brothers, whose father, William Kenner, arrived here in 1799 and became a major businessman.
In 1855 the railway line passed through this area from New Orleans to Jackson, and Kenner Train Station was replaced by former Cannes. Therefore, Kenner's foundation date is 2 March 1855. Soon the construction of the Coleman Steel Works began here, which became the city's first industrial facility. During the American civil war, the city was martial law, and the steel plant was converted to weapons production. The Confederate troops were established in Kenner, but in 1865 the city was occupied by the Allied troops, after which the latter closed the plant and industrial production in the city in general, therefore after the end of the hostilities in 1867 the inhabitants of the city occupied mainly the gardening.
In 1873, Kenner was included in the state administrative units, which resulted in the loss of tax collection by local police officers, which led to the tightening of the city's police regime, which in turn led to an outflow of the population. It took four years for the situation to be fixed. From 1886, Kenner was home to a large number of German and Italian immigrants who chose this relatively agrarian town for agricultural business and until the 1950s Kenner became the main supplier of vegetable products. In 1899, the ferry crossing through Mississippi was launched.
In 1914, Kenner was officially recognized as a town (a city-type village), after which the construction of the tram line connecting Kenner to New Orleans began. In 1919, the first power station was built, and since 1924 the first secondary school was started. In 1926, the first highway passed through the city, which moved Kenner to the suburbs of Orleans, giving an additional boost to its growth. In 1928 and 1929, respectively, the city water supply and telephone service were started.
In the 1940s, Kenner International Airport was built , originally named after Airman John Moisant , who died on this spot in 1910, and in July 2001 was named Louis Armstrong, in honor of the 100th anniversary of the famous musician. The worst tragedy in Kenner's history is connected with the same airport: on July 9, 1982, Pan Am's Boeing 727 lost its height and collapsed into the city during the storm surge, killing all 145 people aboard the aircraft and 8 other locals. It was the largest plane crash in Louisiana's history, and is one of the top ten airplane crashes in the United States.
In 1952, Kenner received the status of a city. Then the largest match factory in the country opens here. In 1960, Kenner's population reached 17,037 people. In 1979, Kenner's population reached 60,524, placing him in sixth place in the state he still holds.
Kenner has a large medical center, six museums, including a planetarium and a toy train museum, three theaters, an art gallery, a natural model of the space station, and many restaurants and shops. On the lake Ponchartrain in the city there is a floating casino combined with the hotel. There is a special conference center on the lake.
Within the city is located the international airport of New Orleans .
- City of Kenner Historical Timeline. CITY OF KENNER. Case date: July 17, 2015.
- Bob Ross. Economy shutters Kenner's Toy Train Museum (EN). New Orleans, LA Local News, Breaking News, Sports & Weather (12 October 2009). Case date: July 17, 2015.
- CITY OF KENNER (English). - official site of the city. Case date: July 17, 2015.